Wednesday, August 6, 2014

An adventure within an adventure

Things didn't quite work out the way we'd hoped.  After leaving Tupelo, MS on Sat morning we rode down to Montgomery, AL where we left the interstate and headed southeast toward Dothan, AL.  At least that was the plan.  But Sis became quite sick as we rode through Montgomery and we stopped for the day shortly after noon.  Found a Comfort Suites and they were nice enough to get a room ready for us.  Sis slept all afternoon, but her fever just seemed to get worse.

I called a taxi and took her to the hospital where they promptly admitted her.  The doctor drew some fluid off her belly, and they took a lot of blood, but everything turned up negative.

I knew at this point that she would not be able to ride the bike back home.  So, we arranged to have our daughter Sandy drive down from Atlanta and pick her up whenever she was released.  I left Sunday about 10 am and rode the 500 miles back home, where I waited until she was released and in Atlanta.

Once she was settled with Sandy, I drove our truck to Atlanta, spent the night, and we returned today.

Needless to say Sis is exhausted, and I'm not far behind her.  Everything was going so well, but it didn't end on such a positive note.  We know that Sis had an internal infection, but have no idea what caused it.  Now that we are home, we'll arrange to have our family doctor look over the lab results and see what he thinks.

Despite the problems at the end, we are thankful that we finally got to do a trip that we have talked about for years.  And we learned a lot.  Mainly that we can't do in our 70's what we used to do in our 50's.  No more long trips; at least not by car, truck or bike.  We have a renewed appreciation for the airlines and will be using them more often.

But we aren't giving up riding.  We'll just stay closer to home, like east of the Mississippi.

Thank you all for following our little adventure, and for your wonderful comments and suggestions.  I hope I was able to give you some idea of what we experienced.  


No comments:

Post a Comment