Thursday, March 21, 2013

D-day minus a month or so.

This is a start to something!

In 2005 I started to ride my Goldwing to Alaska.  During the trip I would email short notes to selected friends as a way to keep in touch.  That worked okay, but I thought for our upcoming trip maybe a blog would be better.  This way I don't have to force feed people information about our journey, just give them the blog address and they can check if and when they are interested.

Since I've never created a blog, I thought I'd better get started.  It is now about 29 days till we leave, that being April 19th as plans stand today.  I imagine things will get pretty hectic as departure time nears, so I'd better figure this out now before chaos sets in.  These initial entry's will be my effort to learn how to do this, so forgive me for wasting your time.  I will need help though, so if I ask for your opinion please spare me a minute of your time, and I'll try not to be too wordy.

Posting pictures.  I guess this is a good place to figure this out, since I plan to take a lot of snap-shots while on the road.


There, that's pretty easy.  And, no, this is not the bike we're using, but it was a cool bike to own.  It's a 2009 Ural Patrol, complete with part-time 2 wheel drive for the really tough stuff that may be common in Russia where the bike is made, but here in Tampa, Florida it didn't get much use.


This is how we're traveling this trip.  Actually this was taken during a recent ride with a group of friends to Lake Okeechobee, Fl to have lunch with other Spyder riders from South Florida.  If you aren't familiar with Spyders just hang in there, you'll read a lot about them over the course of our trip.

But, to get started, as you can see, it's a trike (a three-wheeled motorcycle) made by Can-Am in Toronto, Canada.  Unlike most trikes, this has two wheels in front and one in the back.  It is also the only trike that is designed from the ground up to be a trike.  All of the others are converted two-wheeled motorcycles.  The Spyder has a ton of great features, many of which you will read about in the coming posts.  If you are interested in these bikes, just google Can-AM Spyder, or goto  http://www.spyder.brp.com/home.  Ours is the RT, or touring model, and we have the optional trailer which makes traveling a joy.

So, it's time to post my first blog entry and see how this turns out.

Cheers, and please let me know what you think...

md

 

2 comments:

  1. Off to a great start Pop!! You've got the hang of putting in a picture to break up the verbiage, so you're rocking and rolling. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, this is actually pretty easy. This way I won't have to bother people with email, just give them the blog address and they can check in and see how we're doing if they want. Thanks for checking, I'm pretty happy with it.

      Delete