Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Trip Aborted!

This has been a terrible day, and it's not over yet.  I need a course in Map Reading 101.  Rather than just set the GPS for Memphis and following it, I thought I knew where I was going, so off we went.  Being exceptionally stupid it took me all day before I realized I was headed SW rather than NW.  After about 8 hours we were still 2 hours from Memphis.  Ok, I got us back on track and things were going well.

Stopped for the night in Winona, MS (get out your maps, it's a very small town).  Went out to eat, and just as I pulled into the motel the bike died.  Well, the engine runs fine, but the throttle doesn't work. I limped into the parking lot, called AAA and got one hell of a run-around.  Seems the coverage you buy in Florida, isn't the same in Mississippi.  Many phone calls later, the MS AAA has agreed to tow the bike 100 miles for free.  The closest dealer is 117 miles away, in Memphis.  BUT, our trailer isn't covered, and we will have to pay for that.  You don't want to be in the Tampa AAA office when I get back!

So, the trip is done, and now we just need to get the bike fixed and head home.  I have to admit that heading home sounds pretty good right now.  We discovered that what was fun when we were 50 or 60, isn't quite as much fun now that we're 70.  Hours of grinding down an interstate, even if traffic is light, just isn't fun anymore.  But, we have met some interesting people, seen some interesting things, and all in all enjoyed the trip to this point.

We'll have some stories to tell when we get home.  Oh, anyone want to buy a 2010 Can-Am Spyder?

1 comment:

  1. Oh no!! Wish I was at home 'cause Winona is only about an hour from my house. I'll be home Thursday afternoon - let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

    ReplyDelete